Sunday, November 11, 2007

Remembrance Day '07.....


Flag party and parade at the Armstrong cenotaph.


Ceremonies in Armstrong.


My friend Joan's sister Gloria, of the Splats'in tribe of the Shuswap Nation, one of our local R.C.M.P. officers, and one of our local cadets after the ceremonies at the First Nation's native cenotaph.

The Splats'in First Nation's cenotaph, where the ceremony was performed in both English and the Shuswap languages. Not only were all veterans of the past honored but we were reminded to remember the soldiers serving in Iraq and Afghanistan, no matter what their nationality. I'd managed to make it through the day without shedding a tear to this point.

There were traditional drummers and singers, and this is my favorite ceremony every year (not just because of Joan's famous bannock, either!). Afterward, we were all treated to a wonderful lunch, and my son was thanked for assisting in the reading of the names of those who gave their lives for their country.

3 comments:

Spadoman said...

Very nice. I am learning so many new things from you. I mean, a Mountie! Cool! I am familiar with bannock and make a good one myself when camping.

Thank you for attending this ceremony and writing about it.

fjb said...

Const. Walkerdyne is such a great guy, and when it comes to dealing with the kids, he's a "tough love" kind of cop. The pic doesn't do him justice, 'cause he's only about 5'6" tall and solid muscle.

Joan's bannock is the best I've ever eaten, and I think it's because of the love she puts into it. She's an amazing lady, and one of my hero's.

azgoddess said...

thanks for sharing the info....you took some great pictures..and will have a lot of memories..