Sunday, November 09, 2008

Somewhere On The Indian Ocean, 1945.....



The crew of the HMS Shakespeare, somewhere in the Indian Ocean, 1945. My dad is at the top left sitting on the conning tower, holding the Jolly Roger.

My thanks to all those at Forces Reunited, without whom Mik and I never would have met and I wouldn't have received the amazing photos of the Shakespeare and my dad. Mik's dad is the young man sitting at the top on the right-hand side of the conning tower.

Miss you dad, wish you could have seen this and been able to tell me about it. By the way, the citizens of the United States just elected their first Black President and his name is Barack Obama. During election night, when they called the winner I remembered how much you admired Martin Luther King Jr. and knew you would be so happy and proud. Sadly, the Israeli/Palestinian conflict is still raging. Whenever I read about another atrocity committed by Israel, I remember all that you taught me about the Holocaust and Apartheid. I know my efforts pale in comparison to yours but I promise you this, I'll never stop fighting for peace and justice.

Lest we forget.

No comments: